RESEARCH PROGRAMMER OPPORTUNITIES in Information Technology (IT)
Rutgers Infrastructure Monitoring and Evaluation (RIME) Group is a multi-modal transportation infrastructure research and education facility focusing on the structural health monitoring, advanced concrete materials, finite element analysis, traffic and transportation analysis, life cycle cost analysis, etc.
There are two research laboratories under RIME group, and one collaborating laboratory. We are growing and growing:
•Intelligent Bridge Engineering and Advanced Materials(i-BEAM) Lab
•Rutgers Intelligent Transportation Systems (RITS) Lab
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a highly qualified Research Programmer to synthesize the results of the research projects conducted to date and to work towards extending these results to practical analysis and design procedures for the state agencies’ road networks for The Rutgers Infrastructure Monitoring and Evaluation (RIME) Group. RIME has been developing expertise in the application of Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) coupled with Information Technology (IT) for the past decades. These tasks include, but are not limited to, managing various software and program activities for the success of the research projects, and assisting the Principal Investigator (PI) in coordinating research tasks with project sponsors and working with other research teams for the successful conclusion and implementation of the research projects.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
• Writes new code and/or maintains existing code for the software packages and mobile apps developed/under-development by the research group.
• Creates and maintains technical documentation for those software packages and mobile apps.
• Performs analysis of existing software involved in the projects and develops a detailed solutions for the improving/optimizing the existing routines.
• Keeps abreast of the latest technologies and suggest their implementation to the project manager to solve the challenges in the research projects.
• Coordinates with the project manager about the project tasks and provides guidance, and technical support to RIME team members.
• Writes user, technical and operational documentation for new/existing applications as needed.
Minimum Education and Experience
• Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Civil/Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a similarly related field.
• Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience in software development, networks, and working knowledge of operating systems including MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Background in multiple areas of research including IT, computer science, machine learning, traffic safety.
• Strong skills in GIS applications in transportation.
• Previous experience in field testing and data collection with mobile sensors including Bluetooth, WiFi and RFID devices.
• Working knowledge in development of mobile applications for transportation.
• Previous experience in coding using Visual Basic, C, C++, Python, Java, etc.
• Experience in using web-based mapping APIs, such as Google Maps or ArcGIS to help enhance the program to result in an object-oriented portable source code for programs to be used by investigators in the field of transportation engineering.
• Knowledge in different relational (Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL) and non-relational (Firebase, MongoDB) database platforms.
• Experience with database design implementation and performance tuning.
• Experience in managing large scale database systems.
• Possessing a solid understanding of Linux.
• 3-5 years of experience in software development, networks, and working knowledge of operating systems including MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
• Systems management experience in the mentioned platforms is desired.
Interested candidates should submit their application to the address below (preferably by email), including the following materials: 1) detailed curriculum vitae, 2) cover letter with an explanation of their research interests and how their background and experience matches the qualifications described, and 3) names and addresses of at least three referees.
Hani Nassif, PE, PhD, Professor and Director
Rutgers Infrastructure Monitoring and Evaluation (RIME) Group
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
96 Frelinghuysen Rd, Piscataway, NJ 08854